So… we had a Bobcat try to get at the pond banties Saturday morning. Huh. We don’t see that every day. THANKFULLY!
Sue heard a ruckus about 5:00 a.m. Saturday and went to investigate. She took her flashlight and saw a bob cat in the light working really hard to get into the bottom of the pond banties’ little coop. Sue said it wasn’t bothered at all by being in the limelight. She had to throw rocks at him to get him to move! Finally he jumped the fence.
We thought everyone got away ok, but we found that one of the little chickens must have gotten hooked by a claw. There was quite a bit of blood on one of them. Later the others started to pick on her, so we moved her to the ER brooder. She’s doing ok today.
Sue was concerned that one of the reason the Bob Cat felt emboldened was because we had let the millet grow all monsoon, thinking that the chickens would really like them when they went to seed. The photo at right shows a couple of the plants. The entire enclosure was covered. So, we grabbed a couple of shovels, a weed whacker, and some gloves.
By the end of the afternoon, we had an open area around the coop. Plus we uprooted the fence and stretched it out nice and tight, also making the fence taller and – hopefully – a bit more difficult to jump over.
So far it has worked – for one day. We hope that’s a good sign. Never a dull moment. I’ll being working on getting you updated on the happenings for the last few weeks. That’ll be for another night. Until then, as always~
Thanks for reading!