I said that we would be coming back to more winterizing happenings and I am a person of my word. So here we are on a Saturday and I thought I’d take a moment to share – although it may not be finished until Sunday sometime 🙂 .
So, this first project is something we’ve been meaning to do sine the spring I believe, but we actually got around to it the Saturday before last. I guess you could say that it kicked off our winterizing projects. What you’re seeing in this photo is black-line for the drip watering system that goes to the windbreak tree line in the field south of the house. It’s been laid out since last year, before we had the trees planted by Dustin and his friend Michael, but we really wanted to get it buried so that Sue can mow more easily and it won’t freeze so quickly during the winter.
Since I’m out of commission for serious work (we can talk about that later) my usefulness consisted of directing Sue on where to dig with the tractor, and then pulling weeds one handed while Sue covered the line with the shovel. It took us a couple of hours, but we did get it all done. The trees are doing well – we only lost one that was a bit sickly when it went in to the ground. We’ve picked up another to plant when fall truly arrives.
Today we worked more on enclosing the coop run with wire – which, technically, isn’t a winterizing project – but something we’d like to get completed regardless. We put wire on the remaining Dutch door and one another section of the west side. Then, to give the chickens something to do on rainy days, when they’re staying closer to home, we put up the first of a triad of stepped swings. It’s rather temporary; we wanted to see if they would even use it before we made it more permanent. We’ll see how it goes.
There are a couple of other items I’ll be sharing with you; however, they will wait until later and I can publish this tonight after all. Until then, as always~
Thanks for reading!