Tonight we’re doing a bullet list type of thing. I’m starting this at 7:10 p.m., and for some reason – I am just way dragged out. So, I’m not doing a long thought out post – and I don’t have any photos to share with you… so this will be boring. Ready!
Monday Sue spent a great deal of time weed whacking while she watered trees and pots and stuff like that. She’s trying to keep ahead of the grasses, which are going to seed, and the Russian Thistles. By the time she was done, the areas she concentrated on looked amazing. It’s a never ending cycle this time of year. We pray for the rain, and then in 2 hours you have to mow again.
Monday morning, I spent some time changing Leggs’ bandage. Her foot was a bit swollen and I thought that maybe I had made the bandages too tight, so I wanted to check everything out and make sure she was ok. Well, what I found was the the start of another infection. I squeezed the kernel out, cleaned it up, put some of the topical antibiotic that the vet left with us on her foot, wrapped it up again – not too tight – and started her back on the oral antibiotics. I’m not doing a very good job of remembering them, doesn’t take long to get out of the habit I guess. I just want to make sure she’s really over it before she goes back into the general population.
Tuesday morning, Sue spent a great deal of time weed whacking. (Do you see a trend?) I worked at the weeds growing up around the climbing roses out front. There are so many tumbleweeds coming up right now – we’re trying to pull them out by hand because mowing or whacking them doesn’t really do any long term damage; they just grow back again. We also attacked the weeds that are coming up in the middle of the driveway… got to keep those under control now that it’s blacktopped; we don’t want them pushing apart the driveway. I think that’ll be a continuing task.
Tuesday day, Sue spent more time working on the new little double chicken tractor. She made the doors for each side. We moved the roofing tin over to this side of the house so she could have that handy as well. She’s making great progress with it, even though she says that she’s going quite slowly.
Today Sue brought over one of the little meat birds. He’s not handling the heat well. We put him in Wheezy’s crate, since she’s not using it any more. He looks pretty bad. We’re not sure he’s going to make it through the night. All the others seem to be doing quite well. These guys are so big that they give their little hearts and other vital organs quite a workout. We may need to process this weekend, but I’m thinking we should be able to wait one more week – this group seems awfully small. We’ve got to find room in the freezer somehow anyway. Gotta sell some chickens.
This evening, we had a huge rainstorm – lasted about 20 minutes. Just long enough to get most of the chickens in. Then it stopped. Tremendous thunder claps right over us. Cooled things down quite well, now we have the house open and it’s very comfortable.
I thing this is the last bullet point for now. Not sure what the next couple of days will bring, but we’ll clue you in on them later. Until then, as always~
Thanks for reading.
Today’s Weather: According to the weather app., the high today was 97° – I believe it! Currently, at 7:40 p.m., it is 84° with 41% humidity and a 20% chance of rain. Winds are from the south a 4 mph. Barometric pressure reads 29.79 inHg. Today the sunrise was at 5:52 and the sunset was a 6:47. This time next week, sunset will be 10 minutes earlier… I might be able to make choir rehearsal!
Egg Report: Monday – 30 chicken, 2 duck. Tuesday – 31 chicken, 2 duck.