What garden? Lately I’ve been contemplating buying a few dozen of these rocks and stationing them around the property. Sometimes, it seems that I’ve killed more plants than I’ve planted. I know that doesn’t make much sense, but there were a lot of things here when we got here. And we have a nursery with about 30+ bushes and trees waiting to be planted. But so many that have actually already been planted have died for various reasons: gophers, squirrels, wind, heat, frost, and lately – chickens. I just want to keep what we’ve got hanging in there until we get some rain from the monsoons.

I was able to do a bit of gardening on Sunday. I’ve been staying home while Sue goes to church to play the organ and accompany the choir, so after chores I water or putz in the yard. Sunday I was able to weed the herb garden that is by the porch and do a little planting. The weeding went really quickly thanks to these amazing gloves my mother sent for my birthday. Those claws help grab the roots of the weeds and they come out very easily. I don’t know what these are called, or where mom found them, but I highly recommend them for your hand weeding chores.

Here is the herb garden that was weeded. Our herbs took a bit of a hut over the winter and from the gophers last fall. What we had left was a large rosemary, a bit of Mexican oregano, some time, and a pineapple sage. Sue’s Russian sage had self seeded, so we have some plants that came up from seed; the gopher took the main plant. Yes, I know it’s not culinary, but neither is the Coreopsis that we planted at the end. I also added a lavender bush, since they tend to do pretty well here. Also planted some dwarf sunflowers – we’ll see if they get past the seedling stage. To help them along some, I put up a barrier of chicken wire and wine bottles (we have a ton of bottles available at the moment) hoping to discourage chicken scratching and pecking and eating of my plants! Grrr. As for the gopher issue, we don’t plant anything in the ground any more, unless it has its own gopher barrier basket. We’ve purchased some and and we’ve made many more. They all give the plants a head start, but once their roots get outside the basekt, there’s no guarantee that they’ll survive.

The final Sunday project was putting in drip along the Conrad Hedge Fund line. I added it as an extension of the orchard system so that the Black Locust trees, Mulberry trees, salt bushes, Mesquite, and a couple others that I cannot name right now (they are in the witness protection program, I guess. I never remember their names) will get more regular and deep watering. Sue is working on hooking up the water line to go up to the trenches where we’ll be planting the olive trees soon. All this is a process, and difficult to do in the wind and heat, so there is a small window of opportunity to work during the day. We just chip away at these projects and revel in the completed steps! This weekend is going to be exceedingly HOT. It’s already been in the 100’s the last couple of days and we’re expecting more. Not sure what that means project wise, but I can tell you that Sue bought a snow-cone machine to help fight the heat! Come on over and we’ll make you one! Until then, as always~
Thanks for reading!